February is Kids Dental Health Month and it is a perfect reminder to check in with your child to see how their teeth are doing. As parents, we can look to make sure our children are brushing and flossing their teeth correctly, by checking each time after they are done (especially with younger children). We can also help to provide our kids with healthy snacks and habits to ensure that their teeth and gums have the best chance to keep cavities, gum disease, and tooth decay away. And, when we start to notice that some teeth are coming in crooked, are spaced too far apart or close together, it’s time to have them see a children’s orthodontist in Idaho Falls. Whether your dentist has referred you or if you’ve noticed teeth or bite issues on your own, the best thing you can do for your child is to be proactive when it comes to their dental health.
Early orthodontic intervention in children has proven to add numerous benefits to their dental health as well as to improve their physical and mental well-being.
Continue reading to learn more about early orthodontic intervention by taking your child to see a children’s orthodontist in Idaho Falls, as well as what to look out for and the benefits of orthodontics for kids.
The Benefits of Early Orthodontic Intervention
Orthodontic treatment can help to fix the bite and alignment of the teeth. Orthodontic treatment isn’t only done for its cosmetic factor, though the confidence a great smile gives is worth braces all on its own. Orthodontic treatment that corrects tooth placement and bite alignment will help your child to avoid potential health issues in the future, not just dental. Here are just some of the main benefits that come with early orthodontic intervention:
- Improved Oral Hygiene. That’s right, getting kids braces in Idaho Falls, may help them to have an improved oral hygiene routine than they did before. A few reasons for this are that by correcting the teeth, your child will have easier access to get in between teeth to properly clean them when they brush and floss. Additionally, your child may be inspired to take care of their teeth while wearing braces.
- Reduced Tooth Damage. Misaligned smiles are more susceptible to damage, like chipping or even tooth loss. For example, if a child has protruding teeth, where the lip is unable to cover the teeth, it’s easier to get damaged than teeth that are aligned and properly tucked behind the lip. Protruding teeth and other misaligned teeth are easily fixed with kids’ braces in Idaho Falls.
- Gives Room for Adult Teeth. Crowded teeth can cause problems for adult teeth wanting to emerge. By taking your child to their Idaho Falls orthodontist early or at the first signs of crowding, braces can help to space out to give room for the new teeth to erupt into.
- Reduced Grinding and Clenching. A misaligned bite can, unfortunately, cause more than just surface-level issues. When the bite is not aligned, children may have the tendency to grind or clench their jaw more than they would if the teeth aligned properly. Grinding teeth can cause major damage and wear and tear to the teeth and may even lead to conditions such a TMJ in the future.
- Increased Confidence. Parents may first look at dental issues, as just a health concern, but misaligned teeth can make kids less confident. Taking your child in early to your child’s orthodontist in Idaho Falls will make it so that your child will smile with confidence early on and not have to worry about major orthodontic treatment during their early teenage years. Using clear aligners like Spark aligners can even make the process of wearing braces for kids more pleasant.
When You Should Take Your Child To See An Idaho Falls Kids Dentist
It is recommended that children see their Idaho Falls orthodontist at around age six or seven. This can help your orthodontist to see if early orthodontic treatment is necessary. In most cases, children won’t need treatment until they are around the ages of 11 or 13 (if they need any at all). Even if your child is past age six or seven, if they haven’t yet been to an orthodontist in Idaho Falls, schedule a no-obligation consultation at Randall Orthodontics at your earliest convenience. You don’t need a reason to bring your child in for a consultation, but some tell-tale signs that your child may need orthodontic treatment include, but are not limited to:
- Teeth that are crooked, misplaced, or crowded
- Spaces or wide gaps between teeth
- Missing and/or extra teeth
- Protruding teeth
- Teeth and Jaws are not in proportion to the face
- Underbite, overbite or crossbite
- Difficulting speaking or speech impediment due to the placement of teeth
- Issues with chewing, biting, and eating
- Snoring at night
- Breathing through the mouth more than the nose
- Thumb sucking
- Excessive jaw popping
The sooner you can get a consultation with an Idaho Falls kids orthodontist, the better. Early intervention can improve your child’s dental health, confidence, and can assist in avoiding potential dental issues later in life.
At Randall Orthodontics we treat all of our patients like members of our family, so you can rest assured that your child will be treated as one of our own. We will make sure to go over any concerns or questions you may have about early orthodontic intervention of braces with kids and other queries you may have. We invite you to call us today to make an appointment at a time that’s right for you.