If you have ever wondered how braces straighten teeth, you are not alone. There is a good chance that you have always wanted braces or know someone that has had them. You may have noticed the different colored rubber bands every few weeks or a straight, perfect smile of friends or family. If you want beautiful, straight teeth, contact Randall Orthodontics today.
Knowing the process of receiving Rexburg braces, can be helpful before getting them. It is always comforting knowing what is going to occur before it does. And getting braces is no different. There is a specific way that Rexburg braces straighten and align teeth. The prime candidate for braces can come in a variety of forms. You may have crooked teeth, your bite may be misaligned, or you may have dental problems due to the way your teeth are aligned, all of these can be solved by having braces in Rexburg and seeing an experienced Rexburg orthodontist.
How Braces in Rexburg Work
Braces move teeth to the desired location by applying constant pressure. This pressure is what moves the teeth so that you can have that a straight, aligned smile that you have always wanted. As constant pressure is applied to your teeth, the bones that hold your teeth in place will change allowing your teeth to move. To understand exactly how this pressure is applied, you will have to know the parts that are involved. WebMD has discussed some of the parts that are used to straighten teeth with braces, such as the following:
- Brackets are glued to the front of the teeth. These brackets will be where the rubber bands and metal archwires connect. Brackets are essential to move the teeth. Teeth are pulled into position by using the brackets. There are times that these brackets are cemented to the back of the teeth to hide them from view, these types of braces are called Lingual braces.
- Archwires move the teeth and can come in a variety of materials. These wires act as a guide for the teeth and will help move them into the correct position.
- Elastic or rubber bands can hook to the upper and lower teeth. These bands will help individual teeth by closing gaps and moving teeth into the best location.
In addition to the typical fixed braces, there can also be removable retainers or other types of braces that can move your teeth. If you are wanting this, you will have to be vigilant wearing the retainer so that your teeth actually move to the perfect place.
There may also be springs that are connected to the upper and lower teeth. These springs will assist in aligning your bite or jaw. Some bites are misaligned and have to be corrected. Straight teeth is the goal of having braces but without an aligned bite, the teeth may be subject to post-Rexburg braces movement.
Science Behind Teeth Movement
The constant pressure that is applied to your teeth by braces in Rexburg can be painful for some people. The pain means that your teeth are moving and that the braces are doing their job and typically only lasts a few days to a week. This pain can be managed by taking pain medicine, such as Tylenol.
As discussed earlier, this pressure reforms the bone structure around your teeth. Specifically, the periodontal membrane and the alveolar bone are remodeled. This remodeling occurs because constant pressure incites osteoclasts, which essentially eat away the bone. This allows your teeth to move. Osteoblasts then create new bone that forms your remodeled smile. Once the bone has reformed, you are getting closer to getting your braces off. Moving teeth to a precise location can take a lot of time. The time that you will have to wear braces will vary depending on your teeth structure.
The Process of Getting Braces
The process for getting braces in Rexburg will vary depending on the type of braces you get. A majority of children and adults elect to get fixed braces. Fixed braces will be applied by an orthodontist. So the first thing to do is to find an orthodontist that you can trust, like Randall Orthodontics. Give us a call to get the beautiful smile you have always wanted. Health Grades discusses the step-by-step process of getting braces. These steps are as follows:
- You will need to have a pre-braces appointment. This appointment will be a preparation for getting braces. Pictures will be taken and a plan will be created to apply the braces.
- After your pre-braces appointment, you will have an appointment to have your braces attached. During this appointment, teeth will be cleaned and dried. The teeth must be dry so that the brackets will adhere properly to the teeth. You can imagine that this process can take a while, especially if every tooth receives a bracket. Once all of the brackets are installed, the archwire will then be inserted into the bracket. This is the wire that will move the teeth. Small elastic bands will help keep the wire in place. These bands can come in a lot of different colors.
- Dealing with braces after they are on can take some time. They will feel foreign in your mouth. With this will come pain and it may be uncomfortable. Over time you will adjust to having braces and the only time you will have soreness is after each appointment due to new archwires or rubber bands.
- Braces can be on your teeth for years or just a few months. This will depend on the state of your teeth and how much they have to be moved.
- As you begin to adjust to your braces, it is important to learn how to maintain your teeth during this time period. Cleaning teeth should be your number one priority and it may take some time to maintain your teeth every day. Braces create pockets for food and plaque to hide, if not properly cleaned.
Getting braces is not only a process at your first appointment, but it is a process to maintain and clean them for the years you have them. Braces have helped many fix structural issues with their teeth as well as those who have wanted a nice smile. Knowing what to expect at the orthodontist can take away some of the angst that comes from going to the doctor. The process of applying braces is a simple process. However, the thought and planning that the orthodontist has to do to move the teeth perfectly takes years of experience and planning. Getting braces should be something that is on your wishlist. It not only gives you confidence by having a beautiful smile, but it can help you avoid many dental issues in the future.